The Ashley House Apartments is a unique affordable housing re-development and preservation property located in historic downtown Valdosta. The building was originally built in 1924 and opened in 1925 as The Daniel Ashley Hotel. The hotel was designed by Daugherty and Gardner in the Neo-Classical architectural style. It operated as a hotel until 1973 when it was forced to close due to a decline in business as more affordable accommodations were added along I-75. In 1976, the Ashley House was converted to apartments. The building was renovated in 1980 into senior housing using Housing and Urban Development financing. The property is on The National Historic Register and located in Valdosta's Historic Downtown District.
- Project Type: Historic Rehabilitation
- Target Market: 55 and Older
- Number of Units: 61
- Completion Dates: 2013
- Development Cost $9,817,061.00
- Finance Type: Low Income Housing Tax Credits
- Historic Tax Credits
- Project Data: Number of Buildings: 1
- Building Type: 7-Story
- Total Site Area: .46 acres
- Unit Information:
- Efficiency: 17 units, Avg. Square Feet = 397-416 sq. ft.
- 1 Bedroom/1 Bath: 37 units, Avg. Square Feet = 511-600 sq. ft.
- 2 Bedroom/1 Bath: 7 units, Avg. Square Feet = 674-683 sq. ft.